Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 10

The next few days, Clark tried to get Chloe by herself. It was impossible. It seemed Lana and Pete were joined at her hip. What puzzled Clark was that Chloe was not going crazy. She was not a “clingy” type person and usually enjoyed being by herself. He remembered quite a few times in high school when she would yell and him and Pete to leave her alone. In fact, it was one of their favorite pastimes to see how long they could annoy her before she would crack.

Clark had a smile on his face as he walked into the Talon.

“You seem to be in a good mood this morning Clark.”

Clark looked to his right. “Lex, I didn’t see you there.” Clark’s grin grew. “I haven’t seen you since Saturday. What’s up?”

Seeing Clark always made Lex feel better for some reason. ‘Must be his farmboy innocence. Lord knows I’ve not had much innocence in my life.’ He smiled at his friend.

“I had to go to Gotham Saturday night after the party. I have some people looking into the problem, but I’m not satisfied with what they are reporting to me.”

“Anything I can do to help?” Clark asked.

Lex gave Clark a considering look. “Not right now, but I will let you know.” Lex noticed that Clark’s eyes kept looking around the room as if he was looking for something. Or someone. “What brings you to the Talon today Clark?” Lex struggled not to grin.

Clark sighed. “I’m looking for Chloe. I haven’t been able to really talk to her for days without Lana and Pete around. I was hoping to catch her here.”

“Well, today doesn’t seem to be your day. Chloe is meeting me here for coffee then she and Lana were going to help me with an idea of a charity event Lexcorp is planning next month.” Lex replied.

Clark looked puzzled. “Don’t you have people whose job that is?”

“Yes, but this charity seemed to be quite important to both of the girls and they asked to help.”

“Oh. What charity?” Clark asked.

“Battered woman and children.” Lex answered.

Clark started to reply when Chloe came up beside them.

“Hi! What are we talking about?” she asked.

“Lex was just telling me about the charity event that you and Lana are helping him with for next month.” Clark said.

Chloe threw a look at Lex that made Clark uncomfortable. “Oh, he was?” she arched her brow.

Lex gave Chloe a shrug. “Yes, I was. Have you and Lana come up with any ideas yet?”

“Who? Lana? You mean Smallville’s Martha Stewart? Without the criminal record of course. Yes, she has quite a few ideas as well as myself.” Chloe paused “Where have you been Lex? We haven’t seen you around the past couple of days.”

Lex hesitated. He could face a corporate battle, a hostile takeover and a homicidal father without a qualm, but Chloe in a full rage scared the shit out of him. He was going to get into trouble here and he knew it. “I was in Gotham.” Chloe stiffened. “I had some business that came up.”

“Lex!” Chloe hissed. She had forgotten Clark was there until he spoke.

“What’s so wrong with that Chloe?” he asked her.

“Nothing Clark, I just-“

“Clark is that you mom outside?” Lex asked. “Looks like she has her hands full.”

Clark looked toward the front door and saw his mother trying to juggle several containers and the front door. He rushed over to help.

“Hi mom! If I had know you were coming here, I would have waited and helped you.”

“Oh, Clark. It’s no bother. I guess I didn’t realize how much I had brought.” As she crossed the room she saw Chloe and Lex in what seemed to be a heated discussion. “What’s going on with Lex and Chloe?”

“For some reason she’s upset with him for going to Gotham for business.” He replied

Martha turned her head so that her son would not see the look on her face. She hoped Lex knew what he was doing.

“Good morning Mrs. Kent.” Lex said. He and Chloe has walked over to the Kents. “Getting ready to feed the masses?” he grinned.

“Very funny Lex.” Martha smiled. “Are you leaving?”

“Yes, Chloe and I are meeting Lana at the mansion for a brainstorming session for the charity event. We may be talking to you later regarding the food.”

“Well, you know where to find me.” Martha replied.

“We’ll see you later Clark.” Chloe said.

“Sure. Hey Chloe, call me later okay?”

“Top of my speed dial.”

Clark watched Chloe and Lex leave with a sinking feeling in his stomach. Whatever was going on with Chloe, Lex knew about it too.

No comments: