Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 6

Chloe was getting ready for dinner at Lex’s. “Nothing fancy” Lex had said. But she happened to pump Clark for some information and found out Lex was going all out for their homecoming dinner. ‘Yeah right Lex! Nothing fancy’ Chloe snorted. ‘I’m on to you!’ She had on a thin strapped sundress in red. It showed off her best features and she knew it. She felt comfortable for the first time in months and she attributed that to the fact that she would be with friends that she trusted. Lex and Clark would never hurt her. She did trust them completely, in her heart and in her gut. She had talked to her doctor that day, and she was encouraged to hear that Chloe was genuinely starting to trust again. “A lot of women take years to get to where you are now Chloe, if ever. When they are violated, some women just shatter. You haven’t and that makes you a very strong young woman Chloe.”
Chloe looked at herself in the mirror. 'You’re damn right I am’ she thought ‘You won’t break me you bastard. Not then, not now, not ever.’ Chloe squared her shoulders. ‘Tonight, I will be with my friends, and I plan on having fun. I won’t think of this any more tonight. My decision is made though. I’ll tell Clark and Lana tomorrow and I will see if I can visit Pete next week. I don’t want to tell him over the phone.’ She looked at her watch. Lex has asked her to come a little early saying he wanted to talk to her for a little while before Clark and Lana got there. With one last look in the mirror, Chloe turned and walked out of her bedroom.

Chloe walked into Lex’s study a short time later. One of her friends at school had a great nickname for Lex. “Sexy Lexy” she called him. Chloe about choked when she heard it the first time. Her friend almost choked when she found out Chloe knew him. As she looked at Lex, she understood why her friend had a crush on him. With black slacks and a black silk shirt, with the top button undone of course, he moved toward Chloe with a graceful, yet predatory gait that reminded her of a sleek black panther.
“Chloe, you look breathtaking.” Lex took her hand and brought it to his lips.
“Thanks Lex. You look pretty good yourself.” ‘Lori, you would be a big puddle if you saw Lex right now.’ She thought to herself. “I’m glad I took ‘nothing fancy’ at face value Lex.” Chloe smiled.
“I’m glad you did too. Would you care for a drink?”
“Water would be great.”
Lex went to the bar to get her water and himself a stiff drink. He was going to need it.
“What did you want to talk about Lex?” Chloe asked.
“I just thought we could catch up. Once the others get here I’m sure I won’t be able to get a word in.”
“Um-hm” Chloe took a sip of her water. “Cut the crap Luthor, what’s up?”
Lex smiled. He should have known. “Okay, you’ve got me. Chloe, I have something to say to you.” Lex set down his drink and walked to Chloe and stood in front of her. He looked into her eyes and took a deep breath. “I know what happened in Gotham.”
Chloe’s face went white. “How the hell— “
“When I saw you the other day, I felt that there was something wrong. I wanted to make sure you were not in some sort of trouble, so I called a friend in Gotham to see if he could find out for me. Before you say anything, I wasn’t meaning to pry—I just wanted to make sure you were alright.”
Chloe sank down onto the couch. She didn’t know whether to cry or yell. She looked up at Lex and saw the concern in his eyes and knew it would be crying.
“Chloe I know you’re mad—"
“I’m not Lex. Really.” She started to sniffle. “I—I’m just a little overwhelmed that you were that worried about me. I expect it from Dad, Pete and Clark, but not you. Thank you.” Lex had handed her a tissue. “I don’t like you checking up on me. But I guess I’m lucky to have a friend who cares enough to do so.” She gave him a watery smile as he sat down next to her.
“If you need to talk, I’m always here. If you want I can do some investigating and see if we can nail him.”
“Oh, Lex!” Chloe cried. “I tried that already. No one believes me.”
“I do Chloe.” She smiled and took his hand. “Thanks Lex. I want to leave it alone for a while. He’ll do it again unfortunately, and when he does, I plan to be there to bring him down. No amount of money then will be able to help him out of it.”
“The offer stands Chloe. No matter what, you will always have my support in every way you need it.”
Chloe took a deep breath and stood up. Lex stood as well. “Thanks Lex. That means a lot to me. I’m glad you’re my friend. In fact you’re more than my friend Lex, you’re a part of my family.”
Lex stood speechless. He was so touched he was actually speechless.
“Chloe, I—“ he never finished his sentence. He grabbed Chloe and pulled her into his arms for a hug. Chloe leaned against Lex and closed her eyes.
“It’s not easy for me Lex. I’ve only had my father. I don’t let people in easily, but you snuck right by my defenses. I’m so glad you did.”
“Chloe, I’m going to say something to you that I’ve only said to one other person in this world and meant it.” He pulled back slightly and looked into her eyes. “I love you Chloe.”
Tears welled up in Chloe’s eyes. “I love you too Lex.” She shook her head a bit and sniffed. “Who was the other person?”
“Always the reporter.” He smiled. “My mother."


Clark and Lana walked into the study and found Chloe and Lex in each other’s arms. Clark’s fist only clenched a little at the sight.
“Should we come back?” Lana asked with a gleam in her eyes.
Lex and Chloe jumped out of each others arms and looked at Clark and Lana. They were looking back at Lex and Chloe with funny looks on their faces.
‘Why is Clark looking at me like he wants to punch me?’ Lex thought. He looked at Chloe. ‘Ahhh. So that’s how it is Kent? It’s about time!’
Chloe was looking at Clark and was puzzled by the look she saw there. She glanced at Lex and suddenly it clicked. Chloe and Lex started to laugh.
“No, please stay. Lex has just declared his undying love for me.”
“Yes, and I was just in the process of begging her to be my wife.”
“You wish Luthor!” Chloe grinned at Lex.
Lana chuckled. “He should be so lucky to have you Chloe.”
“Thank you Lana. I think you’re right!”
Lex looked hurt. “Well, since Chloe is declining my offer, I will have to find someone else to fill this void. Hmm… where will I find a woman who is as beautiful, smart, funny and kind as Chloe?” Lex looked around and his eyes fell to Clark. “Well, you are beautiful Clark, but you’re the wrong sex.” Chloe snorted. Lex’s eyes continued around the room and fell on Lana. “Ah, my next victim—I mean, how could I over look a vision such as yourself Miss Lang?” Lex took Lana’s hand and kissed it.
“Great! I’ve been replaced by Lana. Again!”
“No one could ever replace you Chloe.” Clark said as he walked toward her. “You look wonderful. You take my breath away.”
Chloe looked at Clark with surprise. “Th-Thank you Clark.” ‘Oh my God’ she thought ‘I just stuttered in front of farm boy’
“Smooth, very smooth Kent. I didn’t know you had it in you.” came a voice from the doorway. Pete Ross stepped into the room with a grin.
“Pete?” Chloe whispered. “Pete!” she cried out and ran to him. She threw herself into his waiting arms.

No comments: