Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Clark sat and listened in stunned silence. He couldn’t breathe. He didn’t know what to think or how to react.

“Clark I was raped.” Those words caused him more pain than a thousand meteor rocks ever could. Only years of practice helped him school his features to show no expression. He didn’t want Chloe to see the rage he felt.

He knew she thought of him as clueless sometimes, but he knew she was more scared of what he was going to think of her than about what happened. He wasn’t going to interrupt her, or say anything until she was finished. He honestly didn’t know what he was going to say.

So he sat and listened to her as she told her story. He struggled with himself to keep from grabbing her and running so far and fast that no one could ever hurt her again. He wanted to find this guy and well, he couldn’t decide if he wanted to turn him into a charcoal briquette or break him into a million pieces and hurl him into the sun. Both had its appeal.

He watched her as her emotions played across her face, amazed at her strength. Clark knew she didn’t perceive herself as strong right now, but she was wrong. No matter what “gifts” or “strength” Earth’s sun had given him, they were nothing compared to the inner strength he was witnessing right now in Chloe Sullivan.

“I don’t know how I made it to the hospital, I really don’t”

Clark saw Chloe turn inward after this statement. Her eyes glazed over and she started to shake. She wrapped her arms around herself and let out a whimper. She had gone back to that examination room, and he knew that she would never tell him about the exam. He really didn’t want to know. He couldn’t take it anymore, so he gathered her in his arms and stroked her hair. He gently rocked her cradled in his arms until she started to push away. Their eyes met, and she gave him a slight nod to let him know she was okay to continue.

He could feel the helplessness she must have felt as she described the systematic degradation she endured with the dismissal from the school paper, the threats of the dean, the “lost” records and the slap in the face from the Gazette.

But nothing he had been feeling compared to the devastation he felt when Chloe turned her beautiful green eyes to him filled with despair and shame.

“Clark, I don’t know what you think of me right now, but I’m asking you to put that aside because I need your help. Clark, he’s found me and I think he’s been watching me for awhile”

Clark knew she was waiting for him to respond. He had no idea what to say to her, his mind was whirling with a thousand thoughts and he felt exhausted, like he had done all his chores with no powers. He tried to speak, but the words caught in his throat. He stood up, walked over to the window and looked outside while he collected himself.

It only took a minute, but when he turned around, he saw Chloe crying. Before he could speak he burst out.

“I know Clark that you must think I’m weak and damaged, and you’re right, I am. But I really need your help. I don’t want anyone else to get hurt. I’m scared that Dad, Pete or even Lana may try and do something to him once they know he’s here. He’s crazy and I---Clark, please” she sobbed, “help me protect them!”

For the second time that day Clark was beside Chloe before he was even aware that he had moved. He put his arms around her and once again gathered her to his chest. He placed a soft kiss on her head before resting his chin on it. He had seen her cry maybe a handful of times since he had known her, and each time was like a knife in his heart. Usually because I had caused her to cry, he thought. This time was so much worse.

“I don’t think your damaged or weak Chloe.” He spoke quietly like he would to a spooked animal. “I—I just needed a few moments to process what you’ve said. I can’t even begin to imagine what you have been through, but if what I’m feeling is even a fraction of what you do, you have to be one of the strongest people I’ve ever known.” He pulled her back away from him and looked into her face. “Look at me Chloe” he said. She raised her eyes to meet his. “I mean that Chloe. I can’t believe you’ve held that inside and dealt with it pretty much by yourself. I know what it’s like to live with a secret Chloe, but I had a support system. Mom and Dad were always here with me. I can’t believe you didn’t come home to be with your dad straight away.” Clark gave her a small smile. “You are right about one thing Chlo—you don’t know what I think about you right now. If you did, you would know that I love you more now than I did before.”

Clark watched her eyes widen in shock at what he had said. He watched her eyes refill with tears and spill down her cheeks. He pulled her back into his arms and felt the helplessness he had felt drain away. Chloe was home now, and no matter what it took, he would protect her.

“Ok Chloe, tell me what you think is going on. We’ll go from there.”

No comments: