Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 12

Clark woke up in a very bad mood. An alien with powers in a bad mood was not a good thing. Thank God he lived on a farm and could work out his frustrations with manual labor. The cows broke free a second time, and Jonathan had decided that the section of fence that kept falling apart needed to replaced all together. Clark was glad because it gave him a chance to hit something. Maybe driving posts deep into the earth would help his mood, it would be better than hitting someone.

He came down the stairs buttoning up his flannel shirt, which no doubt would be off before 9:00 am, and with a scowl on his face. He stopped in surprise as he saw his mother in the kitchen. It wasn’t because she was up, they worked a farm for goodness sake, but it was because she was dressed for work.

“Mom?”

“Good morning honey.” Martha didn’t break stride. She was getting muffins transferred to a container to take to the Talon.

“Mom-are you going to work?” Clark was puzzled. “I thought Mr. Sullivan always opened.”

“He does, but today he need to stay home because-” Martha stopped.

“Because of what mom? Is Chloe okay?” Clark’s body tensed up.

Martha stopped what she was doing and looked at her son. She knew he was worried and she felt guilty for not alleviating his worry. But she was bound to the promise she made Chloe.

“She’s okay Clark. Gabe called this morning and said he needed to stay home-” the phone ringing interrupted her.

Clark picked up the phone. “Kent residence”

“Clark? It’s me.”

“Chlo- is everything okay?”

There was silence over the phone before she answered. “I don’t know Clark. I got a little spooked last night-”

“I’ll be right there.”

“Wait! No!” Chloe shouted. “I’m okay right now. I was calling to see if you could come over when you were done with your chores? I need to talk to you.”

“Aw, Chloe.” Clark sighed and closed his eyes. He could hear her crying. “You can tell me anything, you know that don’t you?”

Chloe sniffed as she tried to stop crying. “I know Clark, I’m, just so scared.”

“Of what Chlo?”

“Of what you’ll think of me.” She whispered.

Clark’s heart broke. “Oh, honey” he used the endearment without thought, “Nothing you could ever say will ever change the way I feel about you. Dad can ask a neighbor to help him, I’m coming over right now.”

“No Clark!” Chloe shouted for the second time. She then gave a little chuckle. “I haven’t showered or slept, so give me a couple of hours. If you saw me right now, you would think I was a ‘Freak of the week’ and frankly, I don’t even look that good.”

Clark smiled. “I’m sure you look fine, but I’ll wait. I’ll be there by lunch okay? Don’t worry Chloe, it’ll be alright.”

“I hope so Clark. I’m going to hold you to that. I’ll see you in a while, and Clark? Thanks.” With that she hung up the phone.

“You’re welcome Chloe.” Clark whispered as he hung up the phone.


The morning passed quickly thanks to his ability to drive posts into the ground with ease. All he kept thinking about was Chloe. He couldn’t figure out what she had done to make her think that he would think any less of her. He was sure she hadn’t killed anyone, and he was pretty sure she hadn’t been digging into his past again. Was she pregnant? Clark went cold at the thought. ‘Oh God.’ He thought. ‘She couldn’t be, could she?’ he started to feel sick to his stomach. He was so engrossed in his thoughts he did not heat his dad’s truck pull up.

“Clark?” his fathers voice jerked him back to reality. “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah Dad, just doing some thinking. We should be done with this soon.”

“Actually, you’re done now. Chloe is up at the house. She said she didn’t want to wait to see you.” Jonathon paused. He knew what was going on, Martha had told him this morning after Gabe had called, and he knew that Clark was going to have a rough time with this. Truth be told he was having a hard time with this. He had always liked Chloe, and had always hoped that she would be the one Clark could confide in after Pete had gone. But trust was always an issue in regards to Clark and his secret and he had never known if they could trust her. Clark would be the ultimate story and with being the great reporter she was, could she resist such an opportunity? Martha was always sure Chloe would protect Clark and now, after all these years, he was too. “Listen, son, I want to give you some advice. Chloe is in a difficult place right now and she is going to need you to listen to her. She’s going to need you to be strong.”

“Dad, what the hell is going on? Why does everyone know what’s going on but me?” Clark slammed the last post into the ground. “Damn it! All I want to know is if she is okay!”

“Son, this is what I’m talking about. You need to keep your emotions and anger in check and let her tell you what’s going on. Clark, she cares for you and is truly scared about how you will react.” He stepped up to Clark and gripped his shoulders, “Just listen, Clark and be there for her. Now, get up to the house and grab a quick shower she’s waiting for you in the loft.” Jonathon said this last sentence to thin air, because Clark had already sped off.

Clark’s only thought was to get to Chloe. He had never felt as scared as he did now and he was not sure why. He slowed to a jog as soon as the barn came into view. He didn’t stop at the house, he went straight to the loft. He raced though the barn and up the steps and abruptly stopped when he saw Chloe.

She was standing looking out over the yard. She wore a bright red top with a pair of white shorts and sandals. Her hair was down and the sun shone through it and made it glow like a halo. She looked so beautiful, his breath clogged in his lungs. She turned to him and smiled. He wasn’t even aware he moved, but the next thing he knew he was holding her in his arms and wasn’t going to let go.

“Hi.” He said softly

“Hi” he could feel her smile, “your dad found you I see?”

“Yeah, I came straight here.”

“I can smell.” Chloe leaned back and grinned at the blush on his face. “As touched that I am that you wanted to see me so quickly, I really wish you would go take a quick shower farmboy. You’re a little ripe.”

“You’re not going to run away and avoid me are you?”

“You noticed that huh?” her face sobered. “No, I’m not running anymore. Not from you.” Chloe reached up and stroked his cheek. “Not from you.” She repeated.

He held her other hand and gave it a tug. “C’mon then. You can wait in my room while I shower.”

As they left the barn hand in hand, Clark swore to himself that he would make sure that Chloe would never feel the need to run again.

No comments: