Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 13

Clark walked into his room after his shower and found Chloe curled up on his bed clutching one of his flannel shirts. Clark was amused that she was dozing with his shirt. He sat down next to her and shook her gently.

“Chlo.” He paused. “Chloe.”

“Hmmm…” Chloe mumbled and tried to bury her head in his shirt.

Clark chuckled. “The shirt will not save you Chlo. C’mon, wake up and talk to me.” He stroked her arm.

Chloe groaned and opened her eyes. She groaned again as she looked at Clark. He looked incredible. His hair was still wet from the shower and was curling on his neck and forehead. He had not put a shirt on yet, and his chest was also still damp. Chloe watched a drop of water trail down his strong, broad, tanned chest. She could feel herself getting warm.

“Um, could you put a shirt on? You’re chest is a little distracting.”

Clark arched his eyebrow. “Oh really? I could say the same for yours and that’s with your shirt on.” He got up from the bed and pulled a clean shirt from his dresser. He didn’t miss the blush that crept up her neck and face.

“Wow Clark. I’m surprised you noticed.”

“I noticed.” He came back to the bed and sat down. He took a hold of her hands and looked at her in the eye. “Tell me what’s wrong Chlo.”

Chloe ducked her head to avoid his gaze. He watched her take a deep breath, pause a moment and then raise her head to meet his gaze.

“Before I tell you Clark, I have to say this. I wasn’t trying to keep this from you. I wanted to tell you when the time was right and when I felt strong enough. I’m sorry you felt left out and I didn’t mean to worry you. I did tell the others the night of the party, but I’m glad you weren’t there.” She paused as she saw the look of hurt cross his face. “Because I needed to tell you alone Clark.”

“Why?”

Chloe looked at the boy before her and bared her heart and soul. “Because you are my rock, my savior, my best friend, my everything. Because I love with you and have been since the 8th grade. Because I’m so scared of what this will do to us.” She stopped as she saw a look she could not decipher cross his face.

“You love me?” he asked.

“Yes.” She whispered and looked away.

He grasped her chin and turned her face toward him. “Chloe Sullivan no matter what you tell me, I will still be your rock, your savior and your best friend.” He stopped there, leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss on her lips before he continued. “I will love you and be your everything for as long as I live. Nothing, I mean nothing will ever change that.”

Chloe was stunned. When the impact of what he said started to sink in, she threw her arms around him and gave him a kiss on the mouth. She sobered quickly when she realized what she was doing and drew away.

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited for you to say that Clark. I didn’t think you ever would, and now that you have, I don’t know if this will be easier telling you or harder.” Chloe sighed. “You have to let me finish Clark. Don’t interrupt me or I’ll never get through it.” She looked at him. “Promise?”

He looked back at her and gave her and encouraging smile. On the inside he was a nervous wreck. “Promise.”

She gave him a watery smile. She looked down at their intertwined hands and tried to find the right way to say these next words. The words that, despite all Clark’s optimism, could change the course of their relationship. The words, and the act behind them, that had changed her life. Had changed her, made her feel weak and afraid. Looking at their hands together and understanding the love and the power that was behind that love, brought her a feeling that she had not felt this strong in a while—courage. With Clark beside her, she knew she could face anyone and anything and still be her own woman. She understood that now and said a little prayer that he would not change his mind about her. This was going to hurt him, and she was sorry for bringing him this pain, but she was done being afraid. Starting right now, with him beside her, she was going to fight and take her life back. She took another deep breath, raised her head, squared her shoulders and looked him in the eyes.

“Clark, I was raped.”

No comments: