Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 15

When I finally came around, it was late. I had been out for hours. I ached and hurt everywhere, mentally I was in shock. I knew I need to get to the doctor, or call the police, but I couldn’t move. My cell phone rang and I jumped. I crawled to where my bag had fallen and pulled out my cell phone. It was daddy, but I didn’t answer the phone. I knew I would completely fall apart if I heard his voice. The phone got me moving though. I promised myself I would call him later.

I got myself together as much as I could. He had torn my shirt and my pants were ripped, but I was covered and that was all I needed. I half ran, half walked to my car. I was afraid he was still around. I started the car and I could feel the sobs starting to well up in my chest. I don’t know how I made it to the hospital, I really don’t.’

Chloe started to shake as she thought of the doctor at the hospital. The smell of the antiseptic flooded her senses and she could feel the rough hospital gown against her skin. She remembered that there were twenty one and a half ceiling tiles above the cubicle where the doctor examined her. She let out a small whimper as she felt the pain again of the examination. She felt movement on the bed and the next thing she realized was that she was in Clark’s arms. He was rocking her gently, stroking and crooning soothing words into her hair. She couldn’t understand what he was saying, only that they had the calming effect she needed to continue. She started to push away and their eyes met. She gave a slight nod to let him know she was okay.

‘They called the police while the doctor was examining me. After the exam, the police came in and took my statement. One of the nurses had gotten me some clothes, I have no idea where she got them. The police asked me if I intended to press charges, and after I said yes, exchanged looks. I should have known then what might be coming. They told me they would be in touch and left. The doctor came back in and gave me instructions for the next couple of days and told me I was free to go. The same nurse who had gotten my clothes came into the room as I was getting ready to leave. She handed me some paperwork for insurance and said in a low voice, ‘The results of the doctor’s exam are here as well. You may need them later.’ Thank God, she had given them to me. I did need them later. Not that it did much good.

I wasn’t allowed to drive with my concussion, so I had to call a cab. When I got back to my dorm, I took a shower.

She wasn’t going to tell him that she scrubbed her skin until it was raw. Even then, she could still feel him, could still smell him on her. She scrubbed and scrubbed and still didn’t feel clean. She wasn’t going to tell him how she sank down against the wall of the shower and cried until the water went cold.

My roommate was out with her boyfriend so I didn’t have to explain what was going on. I crawled into bed and prayed that I could sleep. I grabbed my phone and called daddy. I hope to God I never have to have a conversation like that with him again. He wanted me to come home right away, but I couldn’t. Not until I had resolved this and put the jerk in jail. I also wanted to prove to myself that I could handle this on my own and not have to run home to daddy, you or anyone else for help.

The next day, I laid low, except to go to my RA and ask her what I should do next. I figured the administration would want to know they had a crazed rapist on the loose. She told me that I would have to contact the admin office with a copy of the police report. They in turn would get back to me in regards to a disciplinary hearing. I would not have to be present unless the case was not clear. She was concerned and upset, and told me if there was anything else she could do, to let her know.

The days that followed were a blur. I made my complaint with the administration, I went to class, I went to the paper and I went home. I managed to avoid him by skipping the classes I had with him and changing my schedule around. The senior editor gave me the go ahead to write an article about rape among college women. In depth, how to protect yourself, what to do or not to do so not to get seriously hurt or killed, what steps to take after. Wasn’t my ideal way to get a story published, but I was more interested in trying to educate my fellow students than getting a story published.

About two weeks after, I was in my room studying when my RA, Jennifer, knocked on my door. She asked if she could talk to me privately, and since my roommate was out, again, I invited her in. She sat on my bed, so I turned my desk chair around and sat down to face her. She had been stopping by to see how I was doing during the last couple of weeks, but what she told me took me by surprise.

‘’They aren’t going to have a hearing Chloe.’ She said.

‘What?’

‘I’ve been told to advise you that the board does not believe that there is any evidence to warrant a hearing.’

‘What do you mean no evidence? I gave them a copy of the police report.’

Laura went pale. ‘The police say they can’t verify that report. They seem to have “misplaced” your case file. The board spoke with Ryan and he claims that he was at a friends house. So they feel that no action is necessary.’

‘I don’t believe this.’ I whispered. ‘They think I’m lying?’ My voice started to rise.

‘In a word, yes.’ She rushed on before I could say anything. ‘I believe you Chloe. So do some of the other girls in the dorm. He’s done this before, Chloe, but his family has the power and the money to bury this and it looks like they’ve already done it. If you want to drop this now, like the board has advised me to convince you to do, I’ll be behind you. If you choose to pursue this, like I hope you do, I’ll be behind you. Either way, you’re in for a rough time. I had hoped that this would stay quiet, but somehow, the whole story has come out with Ryan being portrayed as the victim.’ She took a card out of her back pocket. ‘I want you to talk to my mother. She’s a psychologist who councils abuse victims.’ She shook her head at me, ‘Before you say no, just take her card and think about it okay? Please?’ She handed me the card. She stood up and walked to the door. ‘I’m sorry Chloe, I really am. Let me know what you decide.’

I sat there in shock as I watched her leave. I couldn’t believe that this was happening. I whirled around in my chair and booted up my computer. ‘I was in for a rough time huh? Well, if that was true, then I was going to go down swinging!’ I remember thinking. I had some hacking to do, and I was going to quit until I had some answers.

No comments: