Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 16

Chapter 16

‘By the next day, I had found out that the police had indeed “misplaced” my file. I explained that I had a copy of the hospital report, but they informed me that they had no record of my case at all and did not seem interested in helping me in any way. I then called the hospital and was told almost the exact same thing. When I explained that I had a copy of my hospital report and discharge papers, I was rudely told that I was mistaken and that my paperwork was false. My next call was to the Gotham Gazette to see if they were interested in a cover up story regarding my case. No matter what I said, I couldn’t get past the operator and was told that someone would get back to me.

I went to school newspaper like I always did after my classes. My editor was there and caught up with me as soon as I walked through the door.’

Chloe thought of the feeling of panic she felt when she walked into the office. She felt it every time she went in and would go nowhere near where it happened.

‘My editor asked to talk to me in private. We stepped out into the hallway, where he preceded to tell me not only was he killing my story, but also that I was no longer on the paper. He said he was sorry, but that my work was “sub standard” and “too tabloid” for the paper. I was to collect any personal items, and turn in my key to the office immediately. I had nothing in the office I wanted, so I gave him my key and left. I can’t believe now that I didn’t put up more of a fight, but I think deep down I knew something like this might be coming. At the time, it was just easier for me to let it go.’

Chloe’s eyes lit with fury at the memory. ‘Sub standard and too tabloid my ass,’ she thought. ‘I can write rings around any one of those hacks. Not to mention that paper isn’t fit enough to line a birdcage! I was the best reporter there and he KNEW it! Hell, he had told me I was the best reporter he had in years. The only reason I wasn’t writing features was because of stupid seniority. The spineless jerk.’

‘Since I had nowhere to go and nothing to do, I headed back to my dorm. I knew that he was still trying to “teach me a lesson”. Trying to inflict more pain and suffering. He knew that having me kicked off the paper would hurt and humiliate me more than anything else. I was so furious because he had been able to manipulate and control my life in a span of a few short weeks and the fact that I was allowing it to happen infuriated me more.

When I got to my room there was an envelope that had been slid under the door. I picked it up and noticed it was from the dean’s office. A feeling of dread came over me as I pulled out the letter.’

Chloe stopped and got up to walk over to her bag. She pulled out the envelope and felt the same helplessness she felt the first time she read it. She could feel Clark’s eyes on her, but she couldn’t return his gaze. She walked back over and began to read.

Dear Miss. Sullivan,

As I’m sure you are aware, we have dismissed your request for a disciplinary hearing regarding your alleged assault. Since we have found no supporting evidence, either from the police or the hospital, to warrant such a hearing, we are insisting that you cease and desist any further actions in regards to this matter. If any further actions do indeed occur, which results in the tarnishment of this university, or the young man accused, your association with Gotham University will end.

Arthur Harrington
President

Chloe finished the letter and closed her eyes. She could hear the bitterness in voice as she read it, and her emotions threatened to overwhelm her. She inhaled deeply and willed them back. She was past that now, she was home. She opened her eyes and looked at Clark and continued.

‘The phone rang. It was the Gazette. The person proceeded to inform me that the paper had no interest in my “supposed” cover up story. Then not so politely asked me to not to bother them again with “slanderous tabloid stories”. Funny how twice in one day I was told my work was “tabloid”. I knew it was no coincidence, but for the first time in my life I couldn’t fight back. He had too much power and too much money behind him.’

Defeat and shame crept into Chloe’s eyes as she looked at Clark. The moment of truth had come. This is where the worst comes. This is where I’ll know if he will still think of me the same way.

‘I gave up, Clark. No matter what I did, it was not going to make a difference. He was going to get away with it.

Only a month was left in the quarter. With a little help from Jennifer, and some other girls in the dorm, I was able to avoid him. I made sure I was never alone. I started to see a counselor, Jennifer’s mother. I spoke with Dad almost every day. No matter how much I wanted though, I didn’t call you guys. I just couldn’t. I was ashamed of what happened to me, but I was more ashamed of what I had become.

Finally, the last day of school came. I had my stuff packed and loaded it into my car. As soon as I took my last exam, I left. I didn’t even say goodbye to my few friends, until I called them from the road.

You know the rest. I came home and have been here since. Trying to put my life back together, trying to find me again. But I think I might be in trouble Clark.’

Chloe straightened her spine and looked Clark square in the eyes.

‘Clark, I don’t know what you think of me right now, but I’m asking you to put that aside, because I need your help. Clark, he’s found me, and I think he’s been watching me for awhile.’

No comments: