Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 14

I was sitting in the newspaper office at school. There was a hint of spring in the air and everyone was restless. The other staff members left early to enjoy the weather. I was still low man on the totem pole, so I still had some copywriting and editing to get done so I stayed behind.

I had gotten so involved, I hadn’t noticed it had gotten dark and the building had grown quiet. I felt someone watching me, and when I looked up there was a guy standing there. I had seen him around campus and he was in one or two of my classes, but had never talked to him. He was pretty popular around campus, mainly because his father was the dean of admissions. His father was very persistent in recruiting me to coming to Gotham and working on the school paper. His father was a nice man, or so I thought.

I felt a little uneasy finding him watching me, especially since I had not heard him come in. He must have seen a look on my face because he smiled and took a step back.

‘You’re Chloe right? I’m in a couple of your classes. I’m Ryan.’

‘Hi. What brings you here? I didn’t know you were interested in journalism.’

‘Oh I’m not. I was looking for a friend of mine, but I see no one is here but you.’ He took a couple of steps closer towards my desk and sat on the edge. ‘What’s a pretty girl like you doing here all by yourself?’ he leaned over and smiled.

When he smiled, there was a look that came into his eyes, I can’t quite describe it, but it was vacant and maniacal at the same time. It was only there for a second or two, but it was then I started to get really nervous.

‘I was actually about to leave, my cousin is in town and I’m running late to see her.’ I stood up and started to reach for my bag.

I never saw him coming. He moved so fast, by the time I had my bag in my hand, he was in front of me and had grabbed my wrist.

‘Now why do you have to be in such a rush? I’ve been trying to talk to you for weeks and you always walk away and blow me off.’ He gripped my wrist tighter and his voice went lower, ‘I don’t like to get blown off.’

At this point I was scared. He was about as big as you Clark, and he was nowhere near as gentle. He had such a grip on my wrist that it went beyond pain; he was cutting off circulation to my hand. I was struggling to keep a grip on my bag, knowing that if I was going to get away from him, I was going to have to hit him with it.

‘I’ve asked around about you Chloe. You don’t have many friends and you haven’t dated much since you got here. You always show up for class on time and you sometimes stay late to speak with your English professor. When you’re not in class, you’re here. My friend says you’re a good reporter and very dedicated. You’re stepping on a few toes because you’re showing people up. Getting things done on time, if not early. Finding out things when no one else can.’

He was backing me slowly to the wall. I was so spooked to hear this stranger tell me about my daily routine, I didn’t realize what he was doing.

‘You speak your mind. You’re in control of your life aren’t you Chloe? I like that. I like strong women. You know why?’ His eyes glinted evilly ‘Because I like to break them Chloe.’ He gave me a hard shake. ‘Women like you is what’s wrong with the world. A women’s place is by man’s side, meek and obedient. I’ve made it my life’s mission to teach women this, and guess what Chloe? You’re next.’

Just remembering those words he said, the look in his eyes started to make her feel nauseous. So far, she had avoided eye contact with Clark. She glanced at him and saw no expression at all on his face but a look she couldn’t fathom was lurking in his eyes.

Please God, give me the strength to get through this she thought. She took a deep breath and continued.

‘When he stopped talking, he looked at me with an expectant look on his face. I realized that during his crazy speech he had completely pinned me against the wall. My bag was gone, he had his hands gripped on my upper arms, and he had positioned himself in such a way that I couldn’t raise my knee to his more sensitive areas. My mind started to function again. How had I let myself get into this situation? I know how to avoid getting into positions where I could be overpowered. I guess I was so hypnotized by him and his insanity I was like a deer caught in a car’s headlights. I didn’t know what was coming until it was there.

I could tell he was enjoying this. Not just physically, but by the look in his eyes. He knew he had me trapped, but he was waiting; waiting for me to fight back. I knew my struggles would only increase his sick pleasure, but the survival instinct is strong, it was kicking in and my struggling increased.

Chloe could feel her heart starting to race again; could feel her breath coming more rapidly. She looked at Clark, and again couldn’t read the look on his face. He’s going to pull away from me she thought. She began to panic, started to get off the bed. Clark grabbed her hand and pulled her back down. He looked at her, smiled slightly and nodded for her to continue.

I couldn’t fight him physically, so I fought back with what I could, my mouth and my snark. I said something like not being a dog to be led around on a leash and then preceded to make some remark regarding his lack of intelligence to think other wise. He grew angry and snarled at me. He started to lean in towards me and I screamed. I screamed so loud that I lost my voice for a couple of days.

Chloe paused for a moment, closed her eyes and took a deep breath. This was going to be the hardest part to tell.

‘Bitch!’ was the last thing I really remember him saying because he jerked me forward and slammed me back against the wall so that my head cracked against it. I saw a white flash of light before my eyes and things got fuzzy and sluggish after that.

I knew what was happening, it was like I was floating over my own body. I felt helpless because I couldn’t stop it. The doctor later told me that he was surprised I was even conscious. I had a severe concussion.

I kept thinking of you Clark, of Pete, my dad and home. I kept thinking if I survived, if I could make it home, I would be okay.

When he finished, he collected himself and started to leave. He turned back and said ‘Don’t bother to tell anyone about this Chloe. No one will believe you. You’re no one. Remember that.’ With that he walked out the door and I finally passed out.

No comments: