Friday, February 16, 2007

Chapter 3

The weekend passed quickly for Chloe. Clark hardly left her side. She loved every minute of it, but she was having a hard time not telling him her secret. She wanted to; she was going to, but not yet. Over the years Chloe, Clark, Pete and Lana had grown closer despite the long distances between Smallville, Wichita Falls, Gotham and Metropolis, and told each other everything. Well, except Clark. He was still very private and mysterious about certain aspects of his life, but Chloe and Lana had long ago given up trying to pry it out of him. He would tell them when he was ready, if ever. If Chloe learned anything from what happened this past year, it was sometimes secrets were good.
Chloe smiled as she walked into the Talon. ‘I feel like I’m in high school again. Coming to the Talon for my caffeine fix and hang out.’ She walked up to the counter where her Dad was currently muttering under his breath about something. ‘Too bad I can’t turn back time and go back. There are some things that I would definitely do differently.’
“Hi Daddy!”
“Stupid machine—oh good morning sweetheart. Would you like some coffee?” Gabe saw the look on Chloe’s face and chuckled. “Sorry, stupid question. What are you doing here?”
“I—um” Chloe had not told her Dad that she had confided in Mrs. Kent. She took a deep breath, “I’m meeting Mrs. Kent here to talk.”
“Oh really? What about?” Gabe looked at Chloe and saw the look on her face. “When did you tell her?” he asked quietly
“Saturday. Daddy, please don’t be angry. The doctor said I should talk about it and work through my feeling. I want to move past this despair I’m feelings—no wait Dad”, Gabe had opened his mouth to speak. “I want to be able to tell Pete, Lana and Clark,” she faltered a bit on Clark’s name. “I’m so ..”
“Honey, it’s okay. I think it was a good thing to do. Martha is a kind, gentle, loving and very smart woman. You made a wise choice. As for telling your friends…you have to decide for yourself when the time is right.” Gabe came around the counter and gave his little girl a hug.
Chloe buried her face in her father’s chest and breathed a small sigh of relief. “So you’re not mad?”
“Not at you.” They heard the front door “Martha’s here honey” Gabe said softly. “Good morning Martha.”
“Good morning Gabe. Hi Chloe.” Martha spoke as she looked at Chloe.
“Hi Mrs. Kent.” Chloe saw the question in the other woman’s eyes. “It’s okay. I just told Dad that I confided in you. It’s the first time I’ve had a chance to tell him since your son stuck to me like glue this weekend.”
Martha smiled “Is this okay Gabe?”
Gabe saw the look Martha gave to Chloe and the one that was returned to her. “It’s more than okay.”

Lana was walking to her car that she had parked at the bus station. ‘I’m awfully glad to be home. I love seeing Aunt Nell, but I still don’t really like Dean. Something about him just grates on my nerves.’ Lana got into her car and started to drive to town ‘I wonder if Clark or Mr. Sullivan has heard from Chloe? I haven’t heard from her in months! I hope she calls soon..I miss her.’ Lana drove into town signing along with the radio completely off key. ‘Good thing I’m good at art because I can not sing worth a damn!’ Lana laughed as she pulled up in front of the Talon. ‘Home sweet home!’ she thought. She got out of the car and walked inside the Talon. She smiled as she saw Gabe behind the counter telling a joke to one of the regular customers. ‘No doubt one of his groaners’ she thought. Sure enough, the customer half groaned, half laughed at the punch line. Lana giggled.
“May I get you something Miss?” Lana heard from behind her. She turned “Oh you must be the new---CHLOE!!”

No comments: