Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chapter 9

As Lana, Pete and Chloe were coming out of the movie theater, Pete put his arm around both girls.

“I swear I’m the envy of all single men in Smallville right now.” He said.

“Why’s that Pete?” Lana asked.

“Yes, pray tell Romeo.” Chloe said with a smirk.

“Because I just spent the day with the two most beautiful girls in Smallville.”

Lana blushed. “Thank you, Pete.”

Chloe, on the other hand, snorted. “Ok Pete. Whatever you say. I know Lana is beautiful, but me? C’mon.”

“Chloe I think you are one of the most beautiful women on Smallville both inside and out. I wish you wouldn’t sell yourself short.” Lana replied.

“Hear, hear!” Pete chimed in.

Chloe stopped walking and stood with her mouth hanging open.

“Better close your mouth Chloe, you’ll catch a fly.” Lana giggled.

Chloe closed her mouth and could not think of a word to say, so she started walking towards the car again.

“I don’t believe it! Chloe Sullivan—speechless. Wait until Clark hears about this!”

“Shut up Ross!” Chloe said. She looked over at Lana. “You really think that Lana?”

“I wouldn’t have said it if I didn’t. After what you told us last night what you have been through, I believe it even more now.”

All Chloe could think was ‘Wow, Lana Lang thinks I’m beautiful.’

“Thank you Lana. That means a lot to me.” Chloe hugged her.

“Hey! I agreed with her!” Pete said, hoping for a hug.

“I know you Ross, you’re just saying that so you can cop a feel.” Chloe laughed.

“Damn right!” Pete replied. His face turned serious. “But I really do agree with Lana. I’ve always thought you were beautiful.”

“I know Pete.” Chloe smiled and gave him a hug. “Hands off the ass Romeo.”

“They slipped, I swear!”


Clark heard the laughing outside as he came down the stairs from his shower. His friends were coming over and he was pretty sure they didn’t want to smell his sweat and cow manure. He and his father had spent the afternoon in the cow pasture making sure the fences were secure and fixing the parts that were broken. Some of the neighbors who had helped last night had insisted on helping today, so it was a long afternoon fixing the fences the ‘normal’ way. Clark had to admit it felt good to be ‘normal’ even if it was only for an afternoon.

As he came down the stairs, he saw three heads bent over a plate of his mothers chocolate chip cookies. They smelled wonderful and Clark was amazed that his mom had them out in the open so close to dinner. His three friends were whispering intently to each other, and when Pete glanced up and saw Clark, he touched Chloe’s hand and cleared his throat.

“Clark, my man. You’re mom still makes the best cookies in Kansas. Think I can get her to give my mom her recipe?”

“If she told you, she’d have to kill you.” Clark replied. Lana looked a little uncomfortable and Chloe wouldn’t meet his eyes. He wondered what was going on. “What did you guys do today?”

“Went swimming, had lunch and went to the movies with two of the prettiest girls in Smallville.” Pete said with a sly grin.

“What?!” Chloe cried. “I thought you said beautiful earlier!”

“That’s right Pete. How did we get downgraded?” Lana asked.

A look of panic came over Pete’s face.

“You stepped into it this time Pete.” Clark laughed. Pete shot Clark a pleading look. “No way Pete. You are on your own.” Clark crossed his arms across his chest and leaned against the doorframe. He was enjoying watching Pete try and weasel his way out of this one.

“Coward.” Pete said. “Ladies, you are the most beautiful girls in Smallville. I was trying to spare Clark’s feelings. While we were out enjoying the day, Clark was here with a bunch of cows to keep him company. How pitiful is that?”

“That was smooth Romeo.” Chloe said. The three of them exchanged a look and burst out laughing. Clark felt a little left out. ‘I wish I had been able to go with them today’ he thought.

“I hope the party didn’t break up after I left last night.” Clark said.

“Uh-no. We watched a movie and then talked for a while.” Lana replied. Clark couldn’t figure out why, but it looked like she was avoiding his gaze.

“Yeah, who knew Lex had the X-Files?” Chloe said. She rose quickly to rinse off the plate the cookies had been on. Clark was sure that he heard a slight hitch in her voice. He looked at Lana and Pete, who were both watching Chloe, then gave each other a look and then darted a look at Clark at the same time. They both quickly looked away and back towards Chloe. ‘Yep, something was definitely up’ Clark thought.

Martha walked in the kitchen with a handful of vegetables from a quick trip to her garden outside. She saw the look on Clark’s face, the slightly guilty looks on the others faces and could all but see the tension in the air.

“Is everyone staying for dinner? We’re having meatloaf and steamed vegetables.” Martha asked.

Chloe and Pete exchanged an amused glance. They had both hoped it was meatloaf night.

“I don’t know Mrs. Kent. What’s for dessert?” Chloe asked with a twinkle in her eyes.

“Apple pie. I may have some ice cream to go with it.” She replied.

“Hmmmm….” Pete stroked his chin. “I don’t know. Apple pie huh? I guess I could be persuaded to stay.” He grinned as Martha swatted him with a dish towel.

“Peter Ross, you would eat fried cow patties if I fixed them and you know it!” Martha laughed at the expressions on the younger ones faces at her statement. She always liked to keep people guessing. “Now, all men get out of my kitchen. Chloe, Lana would you help me with dinner?”

“Sure Mrs. Kent. Thanks for the invite.” Chloe said.

“Yes, thank you Mrs. Kent.” Lana added.

Martha smiled. She touched Lana’s and cupped Chloe’s face. “I’ve said it before, you two and Pete,” she looked at Pete, “are a part of this family.”

“Lord knows they eat here enough.” Jonathon said as he came down the stairs from washing up for dinner. He ducked as a dish towel and a rogue cookie came flying his direction.

“What’s this about all men out of the kitchen?” he asked.

“All men are getting out of my kitchen while we fix dinner.” Martha huffed. “Lana, Chloe and I will get a chance to have some ‘girl talk’ at the same time.” She looked at Chloe.

Clark was still leaning against the doorframe, watching the scene before him. It confirmed his suspicions that something was up, everyone seemed to know about it, even his mother, and him and his father had been left out. He was pretty sure that it had to do with Chloe, just by the looks everyone kept giving her, and was puzzled by the fact the Chloe had not told him that something was going on. ‘I thought we were past this. She knows she can tell me anything. She still doesn’t trust me after all this time.’ With the thought that his best friend, the woman that he loved with all his heart did not trust him, he felt a pain that cut deep into his soul unlike anything else had before.


While the men were outside, Martha put the girls to work.

“There really isn’t much to do girls. I just thought that you would like a chance to talk without Pete and Clark around.”

Lana was at the sink washing vegetables while Chloe was peeling potatoes.

“Thanks. I’ve been wanting to talk to you.” Chloe said. She looked at Lana and gave her a little smile. “I told Pete, Lana and Lex last night about what happened in Gotham.”

“Oh, Chloe, I’m so glad. You need your friends now more than ever.” Martha smiled. “What about Clark? You haven’t told him yet have you?”

“No, I haven’t found the right moment. I’m—well, I’m a little embarrassed to tell him.” Chloe help up her hand as both Martha and Lana started to speak. “Let me finish. I’m ashamed and embarrassed because I wasn’t paying attention and I got hurt. I’m not like you Lana, and know any self defense techniques. I’m more a spaz and run kind of person. This time, I didn’t run fast enough. I’ve always told everyone, including Clark, that I can take care of myself. I’m having a hard time with the fact that I couldn’t fight back and that I didn’t take care of myself. Maybe I do need someone around to save me all the time.” Chloe couldn’t help the bitterness that crept into her voice.

“That is complete crap Chloe!” Lana said. “You have gotten yourself into trouble before, and yes, Clark has saved the day many times, but there have been several occasions where you have saved yourself. This is completely different.”

“She’s right Chloe. Believe it or not, you did fight back.” Martha added.

“How? What makes you say that?” Chloe asked incredulously.

“You did not let anyone intimidate you, you didn’t stay quiet. You’re not letting this break you or your spirit. Yes, you’re not your normal self, we all can see that.” Martha smiled the tiniest bit at the look of dismay of Chloe’s face. “You do a good job at hiding your pain, but it does show. But I do see a change in you since you have been home. I see some of the ‘old’ Chloe coming back. She’s trying to find a way to co-exist with the ‘new’ Chloe you’ve had to become, and together I think they will become a Chloe Sullivan that we can be even more proud of and love even more.”

Chloe looked at her with tears in her eyes. Lana sniffed and when Chloe looked at her, she was crying. Without a word, the three embraced in a hug. After a minute of little sobs and sniffing, Martha pulled back.

“We had better get dinner finished. The boys will be wondering what is taking so long.”


Pete had talked Jonathon into playing some basketball. Not one on one, but just shooting some hoops. Clark couldn’t remember the last time he had seen his father play at anything. Pete had a way of getting people to do things. ‘He should get into politics.’ Clark thought.

“So what do you think they are talking about?” Clark asked.

“Son, I’ve learned that when your mother sends me away so she can have ‘girl talk’, it’s about one thing…men.”

“Or about ‘women issues’. My mom sends me and my brothers out of the house when her friends come over for their weekly card game.”

“Women issues? You mean like….” Clark said.

“Yep, hormones, periods, stuff like that.” Pete shot the ball into the basket. “Nothing but net! Yeah, makes me glad I’m not a girl.”

“Amen to that Pete.” Jonathon said.

Clark choked and Pete laughed.

“DAD!”

“Well, I wouldn’t son. They can get too emotional.” Jonathon replied. He grinned and Clark, and Clark returned the grin.

“Yeah, I guess I wouldn’t want to be one either.” Clark shot his ball and missed. “Pete, is there something going on with Chloe?”

“Huh?” Pete was thrown off by the sudden change of subject. “Uh—why do you ask?”

“Well, she doesn’t seem to be acting quite like herself.”

“She seems ok to me.” Jonathon said.

“I can’t put my finger on it. Have you noticed it Pete?” Clark looked at his friend.

“Maybe she’s excited to be home. I mean, it has been a year. She probably needs time to adjust.” Pete dodged the question the best he could. He would protect her secret until she was ready to tell Clark, but he wouldn’t lie to Clark either.

Clark thought again that Pete should go into politics. He had answered the question without giving an answer. Now Pete was keeping something from him too.

“I don’t know Pete. I’m starting to get worried about her.”

“Well, I can’t tell you what the answer is. Maybe you should ask Chloe herself.” Pete replied as Martha came out to the porch to call them for dinner. “Last one in has to do the dishes!” Pete yelled as he took off for the house.

No comments: